Tiramisu is my all time favorite cake that spares me when I don’t have too much time for making a special cake. This cake is so popular that I think most of my readers know it. This time I made Tiramisu in an irregular way by using sponge cake as the base instead of lady fingers (or savoiardi ) . Well, the taste feels slightly different from the authentic cake. The sponge cake makes the cake lighter and easier to melt in your mouth.
Ingredients ( 9 inch round cake)
- 4 eggs
- 200 g sugar
- 100 g cake flour
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 8 oz mascaporne cheese at room temperature, homemade or storebought
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup and 4 tbsp Amaretto wine
- 1/4 cup and 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup brewed Espresso coffee or strong coffee
- Beat eggs with sugar until very fluffy (around 10-15 minutes if you use hand mixer or 5 minutes if you use stand mixer)
- Sift the cake flour and fold in the beaten egg gently.
- Mix butter with half a cup of the batter then finally fold in the remaining batter.
- Bake the cake at 350 F for 25- 30 minutes. The cake is done when the toothpick inserted comes out clear.
- Leave a bowl that you use to beat heavy cream in the freeze for 30 minutes before you use it to beat the heavy cream
- In a double boiler, use a whisk to beat egg yolks with 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup Amaretto until the yolks are beaten and sugar dissolves. This process takes around 10 – 15 minutes
- Let the beaten yolks sit for 30 minutes to cool down to room temperature.
- Beat the heavy cream with 1 tbsp sugar until stiff peak forms. Overbeaten heavy cream won’t let the cake set.
- Beat the mascaporne cheese and mix well with beaten cream and beaten yolks.
- Slice the cake horizontally into two equal layers.
- Mix 4 tbsp Amaretto with coffee. Drizzle the coffee mixture onto the cake layers so that the cake can absorb all the coffee mixture.
- Set 1 layer at the bottom of a springform pan and add in 1/2 cheese mixture. Sift the cocoa powder on the cheese mixture.
- Repeat the previous step for the second layer.
- Let the cake sit in the refrigerator for 6 hours before serve.