I do like Italian soup and make it all time either I or my husband craves for. I didn’t have kale to make a traditional version but spinach was not a bad idea at all. There would be less crunchy to your bite but soft to your teeth.
– 6 cup spinach leaves
– 3 Italian mild sausage, casing removed
– 1 garlic bulb, finely chopped
– 1/2 onion, chopped
– 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
– 1/2 to 3/4 cup orzo
– 8 cups chicken broth
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– salt to your taste
– saute the chopped onion, garlic and fennel seeds in olive oil until soften, about 5 minutes
– add the sausages and break them into pieces. Saute the sausage until golden brown, abour 10 minutes
– pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil
– add uncooked orzo and simmer until orzo is tender but still crunchy for about 12 minutes. Orzo will absorb more broth so don’t overcook it.
– add salt to your taste
– add spinach and bring to a boil then remove the soup from the heat
Serve immediately when the soup is still warm.